History of Fraserville

04/18/08

Home
Fraserville Today

 

History of Fraserville - from "Wide Sails and Wheat Stacks" by Rhonda Heinrich

Fraserville was built in 1913 by William Symonds, a builder from Aldgate who moved to Pt Victoria in 1904.  He married Emma Fraser (where the house gets its name) whose father started farming near Wauraltee in 1875. 

A delicatessen/cafe was added to the house in 1923, managed by Mrs. Symonds and her four daughters.  The cafe was very popular with visiting sailors and sold pies and pasties, ice creams, cool drinks, meals, coffee and small goods.

The family made the ice cream at the house, with Mr. Symonds buying ice from Moonta, covering it with sawdust and salt and storing it in the shade of the grape vine.  The family kept a cow and some chickens to provide the milk and eggs for the ice cream.  Cones cost either 1 or 3 pence with a one-pint billy selling for a shilling.

 

Business declined during the Depression so the family moved back to Adelaide in the 1930's, none of the Symonds 4 daughters and 3 sons remained in Pt Victoria.

 

Continue to Fraserville Today

A delicatessen/cafe was added to the house in 1923, managed by Mrs. Symonds and her four daughters.  The cafe was very popular with visiting sailors and sold pies and pasties, ice creams, cool drinks, meals, coffee and small goods.

The family made the ice cream at the house, with Mr. Symonds buying ice from Moonta, covering it with sawdust and salt and storing it in the shade of the grape vine.  The family kept a cow and some chickens to provide the milk and eggs for the ice cream.  Cones cost either 1 or 3 pence with a one-pint billy selling for a shilling.

Home | Fraserville Today

This site was last updated 12/09/06